Stay up to date on the latest features, news, events and Campaign information by subscribing to the Arts & Science Alumni + Friends E-News, distributed three times a year to over 100,000 alumni and friends.
Events listed below are coordinated by the Arts & Science Alumni Office as well as by various Arts & Science academic units. For a list of general U of T alumni events, please see the U of T Events Calendar.
- This event has passed.
The Next Steps Conference 2019
January 26 @ 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Kick-start the rest of your life
Students and recent grads, make the leap from school to career with confidence.
Next Steps is an intensive and energizing one day conference for students and recent graduates that is held annually. It is part career exploration, part preparation for life after graduation, and a great way for students and young alumni to start building their professional networks.
With a variety of speakers, career exploration panels and networking opportunities, Next Steps lets you explore options you may not have even known you had.
Who should attend?
If you are a graduating student in the Faculty of Arts & Science, a recent University of Toronto graduate or a younger student who would like to start planning for the future, then Next Steps is for you. Participation is free.
If you are not an Arts and Science student, a number of spaces for students from other faculties and schools have also been reserved!
If you’re a recent alum interested in advice and support, you’re more than welcome to attend. Register as a delegate and attend the whole conference or simply come to the Alumni-Student Networking Event.
Alumni volunteers are the strength of this conference, if you are interested in volunteering, please email Carlo Siochi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
8:30 am – 9:30 am Conference Check-in, Registration and Breakfast
9:30 am – 11:00 am Industry and Topic Panels:
- Transition Effectively into the Workplace – A Panel for Young Alumni Delegates – South Dining Room
- Internships: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly – Great Hall
- Work or More School: Life After Undergrad – Debates Room
- Social Services – Industry Panel – East Common Room
- Working without Borders – Music Room
- PhD Pathways: Exploring Careers off the Tenure Track – North Dining Room
11:15 am – 12:15 pm Industry and Topic Panels:
- Success isn’t a Straight Line – Music Room
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation – Industry Panel – Debates Room
- Research & Development – Industry Panel – East Common Room
- Education & Training – Industry Panel – South Dining Room
- PhD Pathways: CV to Resume – North Dining Room
12:15 pm – 1:15 pm Networking Lunch
1:15 pm – 2:15 pm Industry and Topic Panels:
- Public Policy – Industry Panel – Music Room
- How to Leverage Your Arts and Science Degree – East Common Room
- Medicine, Healthcare and Wellness – Industry Panel – Debates Room
- Media and Marketing in the Digital Era – Industry Panel – South Dining Room
- PhD Pathways: Alumni Insights – North Dining Room
2:30 pm – 3:30 pm Keynote address by Samra Zafar (HBSc 2013; MA 2014), Award-Winning International Speaker, Community Leader, Scholar, Author and Entrepreneur
3:30 pm – 5:30 pm Alumni & Student Networking Reception with 100+ alumni on hand to speak with students and recent graduates about their career path after graduation.