b2B FAQs for Students
What do I have to do to have b2B listed on my Co-Curricular Record?
The CCR is an official U of T document validating a student’s experiences and activities outside the classroom. It links the competencies gained from their experiences to skills that employers and graduate schools look for. To have b2B listed on your Co-curricular Record (CCR) you must complete the following requirements:
- Attend a b2B Career Centre workshop
- Attend a b2B Alumni-Student Networking Event (this includes Career Panel Discussions, Speed Networking events, Industry Nights, Networking Without Borders events or Mentorship Meals)
- Complete the reflective activity sent to all b2B event attendees following the event
What is the dress-code for b2B events?
While there is no official dress code for b2B events, we generally recommend business casual attire, particularly for the Mentorship Meals.
Do I need to register to attend?
Registering for a b2B event ensures that you receive up-to-date information about the event logistics, the alumni attendees, as well as the briefing package, and follow-up information after the event, therefore registration is strongly encouraged. If registration fills up for any of our b2B events, you can request to be added to a wait list.
Registration for Mentorship Meals is mandatory, due to the intimate nature of these events and the limited space available.
I’m interested in attending a b2B with alumni from a discipline I’m not studying, can I still attend?
Almost all b2B events are open to all Arts & Science students so if you’d like to attend the Humanities event and you’re studying Chemistry, you are more than welcome! The only events that are restricted to students from the academic unit coordinating the event are the Mentorship Meals, as these are intimate events designed for students and alumni from a single academic unit.
How do I register for a Mentorship Meal?
If you’re interested in attending a Mentorship Meal, fill in the Notification Form to let us know what you’re studying. Then, a couple of weeks before a meal for your academic unit, we’ll send you an e-mail with the final event details and ask that you complete a detailed registration form to confirm a spot at that meal.
I want to speak to an alum I met at a b2B event I attended, how can I find them?
Ask the alumni you meet at b2B events for their contact information, or to connect with you on LinkedIn –they’ve volunteered their time because they want to support students and are almost always willing to stay connected after the events.
If you weren’t able to connect with someone at the b2B event you attended, take a look at our b2B LinkedIn group to see if they’re a member and, if so, reach out to them via LinkedIn. If you’d like help with your LinkedIn profile, we’ve got a b2B for that! We typically run our ‘Staying Connected’ workshop in the winter term to offer support for your LinkedIn profile, or you can visit the Career Centre website and register for one of their ‘LinkedIn Lab’ workshops.
How can I meet more Arts & Science alumni?
What is the STEP Forward initiative and how is b2B connected to it?
STEP Forward is a Faculty-wide initiative that aims to develop students’ capacity to connect their academic learning to their personal values, aspirations, and practical planning, through active reflection on what they have learned. The b2B program falls within STEP Forward as it helps students:
- Develop greater insight into their strengths, weaknesses, interests, and skills
- Understand how their university education has prepared them for constructive involvement in society
- Improve their ability to plan and make decisions for the short- and long-term
b2B provides opportunities for student-alumni connections and interactions through a variety of networking events and skills workshops. Reflective components before, during and after b2B events help students project future pathways and decisions in response to personal and intellectual connections they’ve experienced through these events.
Can alumni attend b2B events to hear advice from other alumni?
Yes, recent grads and alumni are welcome to attend most b2B events without participating as a guest speaker or networking guest. If you are an alumnus and interested in being a b2B volunteer (speaking at networking events or mentorship meals), please fill out our alumni participation form.
How should I prep before attending a b2B event?
It is highly recommended that you prepare what you want to get out of attending a b2B event and how to accomplish it before the event date. There are many ways to do this:
- Attend a b2B Career Centre workshop to learn networking skills and how to apply them in a b2B setting
- Read through the Briefing Package sent to all registered students for b2B Career Panel Discussions, b2B Speed Networking Events, b2B Industry Nights and b2B Mentorship Meals
- Research online (via LinkedIn or web search) the career/education backgrounds of alumni participating in b2B events
- Prepare a mental list (or write it down and bring to the event) of questions you wish to ask alumni, faculty or staff at b2B events